Wednesday, May 19, 2010

the not-as-young, not-so-single, still bitter

Now that I'm approaching..ahem...30..ugh....I feel that I can no longer refer to myself as young. Youth is that window between 14 and 29, in my opinion. Sure, at 30 you may still look young (I am still pretty arrogant about the fact that I look about 22...kind of a bitchy thing to brag about but oh well), but you've got "adult" pretty much stamped on your ass at this age. I think the hardest part about turning 30 will be trying not to compare myself to my peers who have actual adult things like houses and children and such, or what some people like to term "accomplishments."
Not being single anymore is really fun too, and reading back, some of my "I'll never find someone" remarks seem a little melodramatic and silly. Never is just a word that shouldn't be used in those contexts.
My inappropriate use of the word "never" reminds me of another time, in the first year I moved to NYC, when I was walking with some out-of-town friends through Times Square. The experience brought together everything I hated about NYC: humidity, heat, noisy crowds, and lack of personal space. As we dodged around yet another group of people who decided to stop and gawk, I said "I'm never coming to Times Square again. I hate this place!"
Of course, I go there all the time, mainly to see movies. Its a great place to meet people because the location is so central, and they've got two huge movie theaters right across the street from each other. Of course I'm going to be seeing movies there.
I'm still pretty bitter, mainly about the same stuff..media bs, general disappointment in humanity, continued disgust with much of what pop culture has to offer these days. But I'm sure I'll get to that soon. Or maybe not. Being angry alot is not fun. Sometimes I just block all the negativity that exists in our society and have to focus on the things I like, otherwise I feel like my head might explode-

1 comment:

The Towes said...

i totally feel the same way...i hated the fact that i had to turn 30..its not my time.. i loved being chads 29 year old wife!! Im still bitter about it! I cant wait to see what my after baby body looks like HAHA..im a bit scared!

xo