Sunday, March 9, 2008

The thing about living in New York

Place has always been important to me, and I tend to think of myself as someone who appreciates all the little nuances a place has to offer. I love the little things about a place-the small family-owned shops (how do they stay in business?), the mix of old buildings and new, the vegetation, the layout of an area. I think I'm fairly open-minded about place, I have been to small towns and large cities and have found things to love about both.

Living in the New York City Metro area has been interesting because there is so much here.
So much to love; so much to hate.

As I am a negative "glass half empty" type of person, I will begin this list with my hates:

1. Lack of personal space. It can be so crowded here in so many places-on the streets, in stores and restaurants, airports, and especially on public transportation. The result of this is that you're constantly getting your personal space (or bubble, as I like to call it) invaded. I don't know about anyone else, but when I feel crowded and uncomfortable in public my sense of empathy and basic human decency goes out the window and I want to start throwing punches. Semi-attractive redhead who won't move THE HELL out of the bus's back doorway so I can get off? Even after I've said excuse me? Twice? Bam! Elbow in the face. Man who is walking so close behind me that I can practically hear him breathing in my ear? Hiyah! Swift, sharp kick to shin. Who's in a hurry now, asshole? Woman who insists on sharing my pole on the train even though there are plenty of other free hand-holds in this area? Chaw! Punch in the gut. People wonder why New Yorkers are cranky? Maybe its because we have are in each other's faces all day. If you have to deal with this day in and day out, you would start hating people too.

2. Everyone is an asshole. Its all about me, me, me. A lot of people out here walk around so busy and self-important. A lot (not all) treat most strangers like shit. I know, I know, I just said that there is a good explanation for this, but come on, you can hate people but that doesn't mean you have to start acting on it. Geez.

3. Traffic/driving. Everyone makes up their own rules, especially taxis and Lincoln Towncars. Yuck.

4. If you're making $48,000 a year, you're just scraping by.

5. So you want to live in a decent place in a decent neighborhood? And you're not rich? Haha. You're funny.

4. No open space. Hardly any greenery. Aside from Central Park and a few other (granted, nice) parks scattered around, this is a concrete-covered world.


Okay, okay. Now I will make a list of awesome things about living here, because I may be bitter, but I'm not all about the hating. And, honestly, I can't bitch too much. I did choose to live here, after all.

Good things about the New York City Metro Area:

1. Beautiful buildings, amazing architecture, brick everywhere, nothing looks the same. Many of the buildings are old and wonderful.

2. It's not just the shopping. It's the little Buddhist gift shop down the street. It's the store that sells nothing but buttons. It's the bookstores, the boutiques, the art stores, the dollar shops, the Brazilian clothing store. Whatever you want, whatever you're into, you can find it here.

3. New York City may be the center of the fashion world, but you can wear whatever you want, and I mean WHATEVER you want, and still blend in. And, if not blend in, you would at least not shock people.

4. The restaurants are not chains, there are lots of them of all types of cuisines, and the majority are really good.

5. Delis down the block.

6. Straws are included with cans of soda.

7. I can go to the bank, coffee shop, doctor's, salon, laundromat, library, shopping, out to lunch/dinner, without ever having to get behind the wheel of a car. Most everything you need is within walking distance. I love it.

8. Obviously, the culture. Music, theater, museums. Besides the well-known ones, there are musuems dedicated to the history of sex, TV, film, etc.

No comments: