Monday, March 10, 2008

The young, the single, the bitter

It's not a very good title, I realize this. It's not a very original title. How many other young single women have branded themselves this at some point? The title also suggests that the bitterness is a direct result of the singleness. Which would be true, to a point. But you have understand that I have always been a little bitter, and liked it that way. If I could whine and complain about my life then I didn't have to take any responsibility for my failings. Plus, like many other people, I like to have that aura of outsider-cynicism. Not that I ever tried to be shockingly so. As a late nineties teen, the goth movement type of "outsiderism",(which I'll call it, knowing I'm making up my own word here,) never appealed to me, seeming to be just as trendy as whatever the cool kids were doing.

At the very root of it, being bitter is about being entitled. You feel a certain entitlement to have certain things in your life, and when you don't get these things, you become bitter. What I'm really doing with this title is insulting myself; and as self-deprecation is one the subtlest forms of narcissism, what this title is really about is me being a self-absorbed, silly girl who wants to whine about not getting her way, and, thinks she's funny enough or interesting enough to want a record of it.

No comments: