Monday, December 15, 2008

old blogs

Here are all my old (semi-interesting) blogs from Myspace. It's interesting to see how much has changed and yet how much has stayed the same over the years.

Wednesday, August 23, 2006
The East Coast...
For those of you not blessed with spending time on the East Coast, let me share the wonderful experience with you... I will submit my points concerning the East Coast in a list, as that is my preferred method of communication.
1. Humidity: a bastard. Unlike the Deep South, the humidity is not accompanied by stifling heat. It typically comes on with the rain. In the drier, sunnier, more beautiful climes, when it rains, it is refreshing. The smell is wonderful and filled with earthy, leafy scents. After it rains, everythings looks clean and sparkling. On the East Coast, when it rains, it is like the air has become a sponge. A month-old, moldy sponge. Far from being refreshing, it is damp, soppy, and soggy. The smell is not earth/leafy; it is more like mildew-y/swampy. And there is no refreshing, after-rain sparkle, only dingy, wet, soaking crud that reeks.
2. Customer Service: when it's convenient. You can walk into a store, say a Dunkin' Donuts (they are like the plague out here, you can't walk more than a block without one popping up) and there will be a number of workers behind the counter busily cleaning and wiping and preparing things and doing all those tasks required of them. Yet you, apparently, are not a priority. Bee-like tasks, first, customers, second. Oh, they'll get to you, but on their time. And then they'll act like they're going out of their way to help you. Hello! I'm the one that's keeping your company in business and you with a job, jack-ass. This has happened to me in two dunkin'donuts, a Stop and Shop (grocery store), and a department store.
3. Sports: The fact that on Saturday night, when the Broncos were playing the Titans, all so-called "sports" channels decided to play golf, race cars and the Little League World series. Everyone is obssessed with baseball, either the Red Sox, Yankees, or Mets. I am so upset that I won't be able to watch the majority of Broncos games and will instead have to end up rooting for some dumb team like the Giants or the Jets.
4. The Ocean: too cold to swim in. Enough said.
5. Traffic: can't really talk. Colorado still has the biggest asshole drivers. Sorry.
6. Trees: they're everywhere. They blanket the East Coast. And they're thick. You look into a wooded area and light barely streams through. They are no replacement for mountains and other such things of geographical interest. I'm just waiting for fall because there had better be a pretty great display of fall colors from all these goddammed trees.
Well, I think that's enough said. And I want to say to all of you lucky enough to live in the West-you aren't missing anything, trust me.

Monday, June 19, 2006
Karma battle continued
My shame continues. I went to this party at Colin's house on Friday because I wanted to meet these two girls who were moving to NYC. It was a pretty raging party and a lot of people were there, including hot guys. And at first everything was going fine for me. I was talking to a lot of people, some whom I knew from the past and some new people. I got felt up by a lesbian on my way down the back stairs and out into the back yard who said as she grabbed my tits "There should be a booby contest later on and you should enter!" It was the most action I'd seen in months. I also got hit on by another lesbian with one of those "faux-hawks" who actually pulled it off really well.
I even survived meeting the ex's new lady, who is nice and beautiful, not that I would expect any less from him. Not that I was jealous, but that situation is always a little strange.
But, alas, alcohol, my inherent lack of coordination, and tall shoes all conspired against me this evening. Added to the fact that nothing lately has worked in my favor (refer to first paragraph re: lesbians. Don't get me wrong, I pretty much dig lesbians right now, they've done more for my self-esteem than any man has lately, but they lack a very important appendage that I don't think I could do without in a relationship, and no, the so-called "replacements" just wouldn't measure up, I know they wouldn't).
Anyway, I was out in the backyard, which was very lumpy, by the way, and I had to pee. Instead of making my way through the crowd and to the door, I decided to skirt around everyone and take the shorter route. Unfortunately, this entailed walking along the back of the house, which was littered with debris. Also, this house is extremely old and had an old cellar entrance that has since been blocked off, but a couple of stairs and a bunch of other crap (it was dark so I don't know exactly what was down there) still sloped down into the cellar entrance. I went to step around someone, and ended up on the first crumbling cellar stair. My shoe caught on the very edge of the stair and I began to fall sideways, so I grabbed on the first thing I saw, which was, bizarrely, a loose gutter pipe. The gutterpipe, however, wasn't attached to anything, so I wasn't able to regain my balance and I ended up falling ass-first down the stairwell. I also ended up cutting a hole in some really nice jeans that made my ass look good, and somehow the gutter pipe cut my knee open, so I have wicked-looking inch-long cuts on my knee cap that are filled with denim transferred to the wound during the fall. And now my ass really hurts too.
This spectalce was seen be nearly everyone at this party. I had some brave guy pull me out of the cellar entrance, and I wish I knew who he was, because I will be forever grateful to him for saving me. I also lost a shoe in the process, and several people in my vicinity searched for it. It was eventually recovered. Then Colin's girlfriend, sweetly concerned for me, ran up to see how I was, which was nice. Of course, Colin had to say , "I think you've had plenty enough to drink." Which made me feel great, and left me to wonder if I have created a self-fulfilling prophecy here, with all my whining about how karma doesn't exist.
So I left the party in shame, hanging my head, knowing that everyone left there would be talking about the pathetic lush who fell down the entrance to the cellar. What pisses me off is that I wasn't even trashed enough for this to be true, but I knew that was what everyone will assume. Sigh. And I know people were laughing at me, secretly while it was happening,and out-loud in huge guffaws after I had left. I know this because the friends I have told this story to could not contain their glee, and they actually care about me. Oh well, if this had happened to someone else I would find it hilarious. But now I expect something great to happen to me after this experience to make up for it. Not that I believe in karma or that junk or anything.

Friday, April 07, 2006
This sucks!
So I was totally in love with Jonathan Brandis when I was a pre-teen and teenager. I watched him in Never Ending Story and LadyBugs AND Sidekicks even though all of those movies were pretty bad. Then when Seaquest DSV came on I religiously watched that show because he was in it. Well, come to find out he committed suicide two years ago. That just makes me really sad, to know my childhood obsession died in such a terrible way. Oh, and I have to say to John-you were right. Dammit, I hate saying that. Now his ego will get even bigger than it is.
11:17 AM - 6 Comments - 0 Kudos - Add Comment - Edit - Remove

Tuesday, March 28, 2006
So....
My phone has not rang in 70 hours. I'm not trying to feel sorry for myself or anything with this statement, but it does prove my theory that if I were to die in my apartment I would surely rot for at least three days in there, with my stench finally alerting my neighbors that something was wrong. They'd find me all bloated and my cats would probably have eaten little bits and pieces of me here and there. Well, if I died on a Friday this would happen. If I died during the work week I'd probably be found within 24 hrs because work would want to know what was up and they'd start alerting people.
Currently listening : Phantoms By Acceptance Release date: 26 April, 2005
11:36 AM - 4 Comments - 1 Kudos - Add Comment - Edit - Remove

Friday, March 24, 2006
Why do I like to piss people off?
So I went out with nearly all of my coworkers for lunch today and somehow the topic of religion was brought up. We went around the table saying what religion we were and everyone else was like, "Catholic, Methodist, Baptist, Catholic..." So when it got to me I said "atheist", not because I am one, but just because I wanted to see if anyone would get mad or say something to me. And the thing is, I've done that before, on several occasions, when people have asked me what I beleived. And I've always said "atheist" just to be an ass and see how people reacted. I don't know why I'm like that, but I kind of feel like a hypocrite when I claim atheist and then find myself praying...Anway, that's it. I know this is not a high-quality story or anything, just a random though I wanted to share and see if anyone else finds themselves being contrary on purpose
10:24 AM - 5 Comments - 1 Kudos - Add Comment - Edit - Remove

Tuesday, February 21, 2006
Bye Bye Colorado!!!! Category: Life
So, I haven't really told any of my friends this, but I have made the decision to move to New York City. I have a lot of reasons for doing so but the main ones are as follows:
1. I'm at the point now where I'm working to live rather than living to work. I majored in English in college because I love literature and writing is one of the only things I am halfway decent at. And I went to the Publishing Institute at the University of Denver because I have a passion for books and want to be involved in their creation. And obviously, my job now has nothing to do with any of these things. I stayed here after I graduated becauseI love Colorado and have moved around my whole life, plus I love being near my family. But I have come to realize it's not enough, because what it boils down to is me and what I want to be doing, and there is nothing in Colorado for me career-wise. NYC, on the other hand, is the mecca for publishing. I'm pretty sure I want to work for a big house rather than the regionally-oriented houses that are scattered across the country, and NYC is the place to be for the big houses.
2. I feel like I will never get a boyfriend if I stay here. That's probably not entirely true, but Denver is not a large city by any means. The majority of my friends are in serious relationships that are headed towards marriage, and their friends are all in serious relationships that are most likely headed towards marriage. I'd like to live in a place where there are a lot of single people my age; where being single is ok, is the norm. In Denver, it's not really "the norm" to be 25 and single. And I don't even know if I want to get married, ever. I feel like in New York I'll at least have better opportunities to date, and I won't feel so different just because I am single. Now a lot of this may just be my perception of my situation, but I really think I will have much better opportunities to meet guys out there than here in ol'Cowtown.
So those are pretty much my reasons. The hardest part will be leaving everyone here b/c you all are so great. But I'm tired of feeling unhappy and like a big-fat nothing. If I'm going to be doing my own thing, I might as well be doing it in the pursuit of something I love. I'm tired of just existing. And hey, if it doesn't work out for me out there you can guaruntee I will come crawling back to Colorado!
Currently reading : Quicksilver (The Baroque Cycle, Vol. 1) By Neal Stephenson Release date: 21 September, 2004
6:42 AM - 7 Comments - 3 Kudos - Add Comment - Edit - Remove

Wednesday, May 31, 2006
New York continued. Don't read if you don't want a long, drawn-out story.
First of all, I am so grateful for all the support I am getting concerning the pending move. I really shouldn't be surprised, because I pride myself on having amazing people as friends. But, I still kind of think some view this move as an escape, and sometimes I think that is why I'm doing it, too. That I think all the things I don't like about my life will be magically fixed once I move there. That I will somehow find the perfect job, boyfriend, etc. (By the way, I know those last two sentences are fragments, and I don't care!)
But the more I think about it, the more I know the real reasons. And I know no matter what my reasons were everyone would still be behind me 100 percent. I still feel the need to share, however.
I have many regrets from my past about missed opportunites. There has been so much I have wanted to do that I have never done because of three factors: lack of self-confidence, laziness, and fear. In high school I always wanted to be in plays but never could get up the nerve to try out; I never tried out for solos in choir, never joined newspaper or yearbook or french club even though I thought they would be fun. I was too shy and too scared. I was on the track team my sophmore year but couldn't stick it out because it required a lot of work to get better, plus I couldn't stand the humilation of always losing. Instead of trying harder, I quit. I never felt I would be good enough to do most of these activities anyway. I didn't realize that individual success is more important than how you succeed in a group. I always compared myself to others, and never measured up to what I perceived they were. I didn't take any hard classes because I didn't want to do the work, and I felt uncomfortable around people who I thought were smarter than me.
I did well in college mainly because you can sit in a classroom and be anonymous and still get an A. I began to speak up more in class but still wasn't entirely ok with giving my opinion. A lot of the times I would feel really dumb after I talked. And I still continued to miss out on things I wanted to try or do because I was afraid or it required effort and/or putting myself out there. English honor society, the school lit mag, and getting an internship are all things I wanted to do but didn't.
Before I go on, I want to know that I am not asking for compliments here. I don't need anyone to tell me how great I am, smart I am, special I am, etc. And I have great parents and have been so fortunate in my life, so I'm not trying to throw a pity party here either. All these things were my perceptions and not reality. People who've struggled with not liking themselves, or "low self-esteem" or "bad self-image" know what I'm talking about. Rationally, on a certain level, you know you should like yourself and be confident in who you are, and you can have people tell you these things, but it still doesn't matter. It couldn't and didn't change the way I felt about myself.
I've had much time to think about the past and try to come to some kind of peace with how it was, and how I was. Of course, it's always easier to look back and see the real reasons for what was going on. So, to take a inordinate amount of time trying to get to a point, the heart of my move is to change this pattern that I've been living in my whole life. I want to get out of my comfort zone. I want to actually have to work to achieve a goal. I want to be able to know that even though I was afraid I accomplished something that I wanted. While I haven't exactly been happy the past three years I have had to learn how to love myself. I don't think it would have ever happened if I hadn't lived alone for so long and if I hadn't been single for so long. And if I didn't have my friends who have ALWAYS been there for me. Maybe I needed to go through this to find out what confidence and believing in yourself really means, but I know now when I walk into a room full of strangers I am not afraid. And as far as my work is concerned, I feel confident that I can go into a work place and give my opinion without fear. I do not care whatever everyone thinks of me; I only care about the opinions of the people whom I respect, admire, and love. I feel capable at suceeding in what I pursue, in enjoying activites, in not competing with or comparing myself to others. New York is the final goodbye to the person who does not like herself, who does not feel she is good enough. In New York I will have to be. And even if I end up not liking it, and do come back to Colorado, I will know that I tried. That, at least once in my life, I was able to leap into the dark pool of the unknown and not drown.

Wednesday, January 04, 2006
Why do only criminals hit on me? Current mood: bored
It's true. And the hot lesbian I work with, but that doesn't really count. I mean, if I were a lesbian, it would be great. But I'm not.
9:38 AM - 3 Comments - 0 Kudos - Add Comment - Edit - Remove

Thursday, December 29, 2005
Goodbye 2005! Current mood: contemplative
So this has been quite the year. For everybody else, that is. I've been pretty stagnant this past year. Well, I don't know if I could go as far as saying "stagnant", because I honestly believe I went through my quarter life crisis this year. (And I didn't make that term up, I have read about this phenomenon). I think what's really brought me down this year is sex. It's not that I didn't have it, I just did it for the wrong reasons and with the wrong people. So one of my new year's resolutions is to go without having sex for as long as I can. This could be difficult or ridiculously easy depending on how 2006 goes.
My love life totally sucked this year, but on the other, I had such a good time with all my friends that I wasn't too lonely too often. And I've probably made my best drunken memories ever this year. This includes the time when I climbed a fence in downtown denver, ripping my jeans from ass to knees on both legs, and still walking to Denver Diner that way. I also kissed a girl on Halloween, and got lost in a movie theater, causing Matt to go searching for me and missing "Walk the Line." Unfortunatley, smacking my face with a pool cue in Table Steaks wasn't a result of alcohol, merely and example of my horrific hand/eye coordination. Thanks, parents, for giving me absolutely none of your athletic ability, grace, or mobility. Thanks alot. This is probably the first year I've been this bitter about being genetically screwed in several different ways, not just the usual ones you can think of.
Anyway, I like to take the time to thank a few people/groups for keeping me angry or amused this year.
First, thank you to roughly 30 percent of Denver drivers. You have made me realize that I am addicted to rage and can feed this addiction daily by driving on the lovely streets of Denver. Die motherfuckers, die!
Thank you, girls of Lodo. Your commitment to maintaing an attractive image at all times by refusing to wear coats in the bitter winter weather makes me realize that being checked out by random guys on the streets is just not worth it. But I admire your dedication.
Thank you, Denver Broncos, for giving me something to waste my time with on Sunday afternoons. I have an entirely irrantional/emotional relationship with you that has taken the place of my normally irrational/emotional relationship w/men. This might be a good thing.
Well, that's about it. I wish everyone the best of luck for 06. Now I will go pick up another kitten, probably aiding me in my celibacy for the oncoming year. Ciao.
Currently listening : A Rush of Blood to the Head By Coldplay Release date: 27 August, 2002
5:54 AM - 2 Comments - 0 Kudos - Add Comment - Edit - Remove

Thursday, December 08, 2005
For those of us who are habitually single... Current mood: contemplative
So right now I'm kind of in a slump and was wondering if any of you other single people can relate. For instance, I can't even remember what it feels like to be attracted to someone. I haven't had sex in so long that I forget what that feels like, too. Sometimes I don't even think about it, period. For days. I can picture it in my head, but none of these images evoke any kind of sensation. And in all my fantasies, the guy's face is blurry. I can't even vizualize a person I'd like to date. The weird thing is, I'm not craving any kind of physical contact with anyone. It's as if that part of my life has become a concept more than a reality. I know that relationships are out there, that they exist, but they have nothing to do directly with me. I feel alienated from that whole aspect of life. More than ever in my life, I feel contained, centered completely around myself. It's very strange.
11:41 AM - 8 Comments - 0 Kudos - Add Comment - Edit - Remove

Monday, December 05, 2005
drunk picture of me Current mood: bitchy
I love how that one picture I took back when I was twenty years old continues to pop up wherever I go. Like, how the hell did Casey get it in color. All I can say is, when and if I get a digital camera, watch out!
Currently reading : The Complete Sherlock Holmes By Arthur Conan Doyle Release date: 03 September, 2002
11:44 AM - 7 Comments - 2 Kudos - Add Comment - Edit - Remove

Friday, December 02, 2005
computers Current mood: discontent
Riddle me this: How are computers supposed to take over the world when everytime I try and "refresh" my piece of shit email at work my computer freezes? Die network, die!
Currently reading : The Historian By Elizabeth Kostova Release date: 14 June, 2005
11:23 AM - 0 Comments - 0 Kudos - Add Comment - Edit - Remove

Wednesday, November 30, 2005
why life is stupid Current mood: pessimistic
So I just titled that to get your attention. Ha! I actually don't believe that, not really. No one will read this anyway. Let's just say the job I do can seriously test faith in the intelligence of life, the human race, and its designer, if you believe in that sort of thing. And karma? Please. Try reverse karma. But that's enough for now. Just to let you know, I guarantee every one who has ever known me, been friends with me, been enemies with me, even, is better off than I am now. So all you people that hated me? Relish this. Because I must have seriously fucked up somewhere to be this much of a failure



Thursday, February 09, 2006
If I had a band on myspace...
This isn't really aimed at any bands that I personally know who are my friends on Myspace. You guys rock and only post a bulletin to announce a show. Your profiles are simple and to the point. This is for almost every other band that tries daily to be my friend. Before I start, let me say one thing "Stop your shameless self-promotion".
If I had a band on myspace, I would first post at least one bulletin a day trying to get people to check out my profile. I would tell (not ask, mind you, but tell) people to check out my new songs, my new pictures, my new profile etc,etc. After I had ordered you to check this out, I would post yet another bulletin reordering you to check these out and also add that you needed put a comment on these things. I would then post yet another bulletin to ensure you had read the first two and asking why you had not done the things I have ordered you to do.
My profile bio would read something like this:
One of the most talented artists to emerge in years, Amanda's Myspace band has a gripping sound that will rip emotions from your soul you never knew you had. Hailed as "the best band pretty much ever, with the most incredible musicianship in the world" by the Podunk Town no one's ever heard of Press, you must hear this band to believe the earth shattering sounds they are able to produce. Their songs possess a unique originality that captures both the irony and joy of life with lyrics that are dark, inspiring, humorous, philosophical, heart-capturing, genius, and provoke images and ideas that are so great they are beyond compare. The lead singer has been described as "the second coming of Christ" with a voice previously only heard in the angelic choirs, if you know what I mean. The guitarist's soaring riffs and aggressive style of play inspires awe in even the most prodigious of musicians. The bassist and drummer are also pretty un-fucking-beleivable as well, possessing a rhythmic sense and style all their own.
If you don't listen to Amanda's Myspace band, your life will be a meaningless pit of black existence and you will forever be caught in the musical miasma of every other band out there. Only by listening to us, coming to every one of our shows, and buying all our cd's and other merchandise will save you from almost certain doom and a colorless life devoid of all art and profundity.
6:06 AM - 3 Comments - 6 Kudos - Add Comment - Edit - Remove

Friday, January 20, 2006
My perspective on being single Current mood: sympathetic Category: Romance and Relationships
This originated as a reply to a friend, but it gives a good perspective on how I feel about the whole single/living alone thing. I thought some of my other friends might appreciate it. I have edited a little so it makes sense in a more general way.
Response to friend who is tired of being heartbroken and alone:
Having been in your situation before, I wish I had more comfort to give you but I really don't. It seems really unfair that nice girls like us and even awesome guys that we are friends with remain single and alone while the majority of people our age seem to be involved in relationships. And I have definitely questioned myself time and time again why I wasn't deserving of some guy's love that I really wanted. I've gone through every stage of feeling shitty about myself and still question my own attractiveness, because a lot of the times I don't feel like I am desirable or lovable at all.When you don't have someone from the opposite sex around who you find attractive reinforcing your sexuality it's easy to feel bad about yourself.
It's difficult not to compare yourself and your life situations to others. I just doesn't seem fair that you have had to go through so much and still not find someone who cares about you the way you deserve. And it seems unfair to me that every night I go home to an empty apartment where there is no one to share my day with. And sometimes, on really bad days, I just wish and ache for physical contact and have to deal with not getting it. That's why being single sucks.
However, I feel like if I am constantly dwelling on this aspect of my life I am not doing myself enough credit. Think of how much stronger you can become when you learn to rely solely upon yourself to feel happy. It took me awhile to get to this point, but I feel incredibly empowered that I can live on my own, that I am my own validation. I honestly feel like I don't need a relationship to feel content in my life. That doesn't mean that I don't want one like hell sometimes, because I do. But now, I feel like the next guy I choose to be with will have to be pretty amazing, because I won't settle for anything less. I know now that I won't put up with any guy who makes me feel shitty. If he does, I know I have the strength to tell him to take a hike. And the only way I have been able to get to this point is to have been alone for so long. So I hope I can bring some perspective to your situation. Accepting the fact that life is generally unfair and that guaruntees, destiny, fate, karma, etc, don't seem to exist in our favor at this point in our lives is something I struggle with all the time. But you have to keep telling yourself that no matter how you feel, you are a beautiful, desirable woman and that you deserve love. And when things work out for you in that respect is something you just can't predict. You can only wait and in the mean time live your life for yourself, and feel good about yourself. CHICKS RULE! And hey, if it doesn't work out you could always go to sperm bank with me if we're both 35 and still alone.
12:07 PM - 3 Comments - 4 Kudos - Add Comment - Edit - Remove

Tuesday, January 17, 2006
bulletins vs.blogs Current mood: annoyed
This is just a general beef, but I wish people would start using blogs for all their journal-esque, this is how my day went, this is what I'm feeling stuff they want to post. I can't stand it when someone posts bulletin after bulletin about how their day's going, what they're doing, etc, becuase that's what the blogs are for dammit! Posting a bulletin like a blog is an act of aggression because now you're forcing all your friends to read about your daily life and all your bullshit, whereas in a blog it's their choice. I have even deleted some of my myspace friends because of their abuse of the bulletin. I welcome anyone on Myspace as friend, and I do enjoy reading about everyone's lives, even those I haven't met in real life, but please, for the love of god, respect the bulletin. That's all I'm saying.
6:17 AM - 2 Comments - 0 Kudos - Add Comment - Edit - Remove

Monday, January 09, 2006
My cat is a transexual.... Current mood: amused
So I took my kitten to the vet on Saturday, and I'm like "yeah, it's a boy" and the vet said, "No, this a girl cat." So I felt pretty dumb. The thing is, I really like the name Han Solo for my kitten, so I think I'm going to keep the name and just have a transgender kitty. Is that wrong of me?

No comments: