Saturday, December 6, 2008

Twilight

It seemed to be the perfect formula for me to love: Gorgeous vampires, romance, plenty of fighting baddies and saving people. But, sadly, I have to admit, I'm not a fan.


Saying that, I will probably go see the movie. Or at least rent it. I might like the movie if I take it at the face value of being a typical Hollywood production. I might even enjoy the movie.


But as for the books, I just don't like them. Now I only read the first two, but I read something on the internet about what happens in the second two and knew I wouldn't be able to read them.


I respect what the book is trying to accomplish with the themes of forbidden love, and obsession, and the whole feeling of "your first love." But the author seems to want the story to be the "girl meets boy-falls in love-gets married-has baby" that none of the more interesting themes are ever explored. Maybe it's my own prejudices about female characters, but in the first two novels I was waiting for Bella to actually DO something on her own. But, alas, no she just relies on the boys around her (Edward, Jacob) to do everything for her.

Bella and Edward are supposed to have this passionate love, yet she never reallys get angry at him (even when he's acting like a total idiot, even when he leaves her. Any other girl, if the guy she was in love with, if he just took off, she'd be pretty pissed)

I think the reason vampire lit and vampire romance entices a lot of people is because oftentimes it explores the darker side of love and desire. It is dangerous but enticing. And the whole idea of blood, and consuming someone's blood, and having them consume yours, is more intimate than sex.
Granted, the books are written for a younger audience, and who knows, 10 or 15 years ago I might have swallowed them up. But, at least point, after reading the first two, my final impression after reading the books was "yeah. so?"

No comments: